Wednesday 11 July 2012

Alexander Meets His match


It was in India that Alexander met the only men on Earth he couldn't conquer. The yogis. Greek historians traveling with the feisty commander brought back a record of the encounter.

In the woods, lying on a bed of leaves, Greek soldiers stumbled across a brahmin sage named Dandamis. Alexander was intensely curious about the fabled wisdom of the holy men of India. He sent Dandamis a message:" Alexander, Son of God and Lord of the Earth, invites you into his presence. If you come, you will be richly rewarded. If you don't, you will die".

Dandamis was not imprssed. " There is only one king", he answered, " the one who created light and life. He's the only king I obey, and He abhors war".

Dandamis Continued:

How can this Alexander be the greatest king on Earth as long as he remains subject to the king of death? And what can he offer me when my mother the Earth already supplies everything I need? I have no possessions I need to protect, so I sleep peacefully at night. Alexander kill my body, but he can't touch my soul.

Tell your king that at the time of death each one of us will be asked to account for our actions in this life. Ask him how he's going to explain the agony of those he has murdered and oppressed.

Your king can tempt those who crave gold. He can terrify those who fear death. But we brahmins care for neither. Go tell Alexander he has nothing I want and I will not come to see him.



When Alexander heard Dandamis's answer, he admitted that he, the conqueror of the world, had been conquered by a naked old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment